WebHosting Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: With 29 games left, ‘Who are we?’, Hurricanes’ coach Bill Peters asks
aliciahuang

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 07:41
With 29 games left, ‘Who are we?’, Hurricanes’ coach Bill Peters asks

may be minimal. Peters said Monday there might be switch or two – say,But the changes to the group, in fact, but that it was unlikely the Canes would call up players from the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL and make wholesale changes., defenseman Klas Dahlbeck possibly back in the lineup – for the Flyers

leaving players unmarked for open shots at goalie Cam Ward.,Authentic Carter Hutton jersey,The Canes made glaring errors in defensive coverage in allowing the Sharks’ first two goals Sunday

” said defenseman Justin Faulk,“The effort we had was very poor and obviously coach said it and you could see it, playing hard and making sure the guy next to you knows you’re going to compete and do your job out there.”,Authentic Jake Allen jersey, a team co-captain. “It’s about getting back to playing for each other

the Canes (24-21-8) remained one point out of playoff position in the Eastern Conference after Sunday’s games. The Flyers held the second wild-card spot with 57 points.,The only positive: despite the two losses

” Canes forward Elias Lindholm said. “Obviously we wanted to be higher up but we put ourselves in this position by not playing good enough. But there’s 29 games left.”,“We’re still in a good spot

“Every time we’re getting it close we’re just falling apart.”,Authentic Steven Stamkos jersey,What’s troubling to Lindholm is the way the Canes have lost some games. As he put it

the Canes had a number of one-goal losses or games lost in overtime or shootouts, Lindholm said. They were close,A year ago, tight games.

we’ve never as many breakdowns where we’re letting everybody down,Authentic Nicklas Backstrom jersey,“But in my years here,” he said. “We’re not even giving ourselves a chance to win some games. It’s tough.”

The NHL’s baffling schedule has the Canes 53 games into the season and still without a game played against the Flyers or New Jersey Devils, two Metropolitan Division opponents. The Devils are second in the division with 62 points.

“It’s so tight and these head-to-head matchups are so key,” forward Brock McGinn said. “If we win our divisional games we’ll see a jump in the standings.”

about being more competitive,adidas Philipp Grubauer jersey, Peters said. Last year’s team,But the Canes won’t do that without a commitment to playing better, he said, formed that kind of identity.

and that’s what we have to do over the next 29 games,“I don’t think this team has got to an identity they’re proud of on a consistent basis this year,” Peters said. “We can be a hard-working team but I don’t see it right now. … It’s time for our team to be desperate and put its best foot forward.

The production of Indianapolis Colts veteran running back Frank Gore has declined this season. That hasn’t diminished the Texans’ respect for the five-time Pro Bowl selection’s ability to grind out tough yards, though.

but has gained just 34, 24,The 32-year-old Gore has rushed for 762 yards and four touchdowns, 45 and 60 yards in the past four games.

obviously,“It’s going to be a huge part of the game,” Texans middle linebacker Brian Cushing said of Gore. “He’s one of the big focal points of their offense and really gets them going. So we eliminate him as best we can and just try to shut him down. We’re definitely hoping in our favor.”

Texans veteran nose tackle Vince Wilfork is likely to have some collisions with his former University of Miami teammate who typically runs between the tackles

especially with a guy like Frank still running like a bull,” Wilfork said. “He’s still running like the way I saw him run in college. You talk about a guy 10 to 11 years in the league that is still getting it done and it seems like,“It always starts with the run game, lately, they have been putting it on his shoulders to make those tough runs and he does.

understanding how they want to attack us, how explosive they can be offensively, the type of back that he is, the type of offense that they are, no matter who the quarterback may be,“We have to have our mind right from the first snap and I think that started in practice, they have weapons everywhere. We have to do a good job with all of our keys this week, that is going to be very critical for us.”

the Sharks forward went on an eye-popping run in the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs,After narrowly missing the cut for Canada’s Olympic men’s hockey team in 2014, landed an invitation to the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and emerged as one of the best two-way centers in the NHL.

Hitting his prime at age 28, the window appeared to be wide open for Couture to earn a spot on Team Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Then, it got slammed in his face.

The NHL decided last season that it wouldn’t be sending its athletes to Pyeongchang,adidas Carter Hutton jersey, South Korea after participating in five-consecutive Winter Olympics beginning in 1998..

” Couture said. “It would mean a lot to win a medal, represent your country. I had an amazing time playing in the World Cup,“It is disappointing,adidas Jake Allen jersey, playing for Canada. It would have been a cool experience, but my ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup.

“That’s my No.1 priority.”

Olympic hockey is embedded within the fabric of Couture’s childhood sports memories. He stayed up late to watch Wayne Gretzky compete for Canada in Nagano, Japan in 1998,adidas Steven Stamkos jersey,As is the case with most Canadians of his generation,Authentic Philipp Grubauer jersey, he tuned in for every game when Mario Lemieux led the country to its first gold medal in 50 years in 2002 and he felt the nation’s heartbreak when Joe Thornton and the boys got upset by Switzerland in 2006.

“I remember watching all of those games,adidas Nicklas Backstrom jersey,” Couture said. “I’d wake up early when they were overseas or stay up late. It was the only thing that anyone would talk about when you got to school the next day.”

The then-24-year old was informed that he was among the final cuts when general manager Steve Yzerman put the team together.

“I got a call from Steve Yzerman and he told me that I was right there,” Couture said.

Couture elevated his game to the next level,adidas Michael Hutchinson jersey,Over the next four years, earning national recognition for being among the NHL’s top two-way centers.

insisting that he’s taking the torch from Thornton,Couture became just the fourth player in a 20-year span to record 30 points in one playoff season during the Sharks run to the Stanley Cup Final in 2016. Sidney Crosby praised him for his exceptional hockey IQ and Edmonton Oilers head coach Todd McLellan called him the Sharks’ Connor McDavid,Authentic Michael Hutchinson jersey, Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski by “driving the bus” in San Jose this season.

Couture leads the Sharks in goals (22) and he’s second on the team in scoring (39 points) while playing a more defensive role skating against the top centers in the league on a nightly basis.

Although Canada is loaded with depth at center, Couture would have been a pretty strong bet to make the team this year after competing in the World Cup last summer.

Canada tends to favor players who have experience with the team, Couture is putting together a breakthrough season and he proved that he’s a big-game performer during the Sharks playoff run two years ago.

” DeBoer said,“For sure he is (in that group), adding: “You feel for them.”

By then, Couture will be 32 and potentially exiting his prime years as an influx of young-Canadian players will be entering their mid-to-late 20s.

Go To Top