WebHosting Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Redskins' Everett gets his shot as Cravens mulls retiring
aliciahuang

[*] posted on 13-9-2017 at 05:57
Redskins' Everett gets his shot as Cravens mulls retiring

Deshazor Everett's chance has come. And in a most unexpected way.

The special-teams ace has been thrust into the Washington Redskins starting lineup following the shocking news that Redskins safety Su'a Cravens is considering retiring from the NFL at age 22.

Everett scrapped and clawed his way onto the Redskins' roster during training camp two years ago, only to be immediately cut the next day. On Sunday he'll start against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"The opportunity that I've been wanting is presenting" itself, Everett said. "I've just got to go out there and make the best of it. I've been working hard, trying to get better. Obviously it's paying off."

Cravens informed team president Bruce Allen on Sunday that he wanted to retire but was convinced to take his time before making that decision final as the Redskins placed Cravens on the exempt/left squad list. That gives the two sides a month to decide on a course of action.

If Cravens holds to his position to leave the sport and is shifted to the reserve/left squad list, then he can't return this season. And if that thinking remains, several teammates said they don't want Cravens back for his own good.

"This game tests your wits in every form and every facet of your body, then you're seriously going to go out there and get hurt. I mean like," cornerback Josh Norman said. "Because if you're not ready to come back and play and give it your all and your heart isn't in it, seriously. Because this is no game. This is no child's-play game. This is a grown man's sport. Grown men are colliding amongst each other. It can be deadly."

The move has left coaches and teammates stunned. Cravens was Washington's second-round pick in 2016 and was supposed to be the starting strong safety before an Aug. 10 knee injury required surgery.

The Redskins still expected him to return to practice this week. Instead,Womens Preston Smith Jersey, 25, Everett,Authentic Arthur Brown Jersey, shifts into that role — for now.

" said Washington safety D.J. Swearinger, he's been in there, making good plays, making good strides,Womens Arthur Brown Jersey, a free agent who played last season with Arizona and who will start next to Everett. "Since Su'a got hurt,"I've got total confidence in Shaz,Authentic 12th Fan Jersey, getting better week-to-week, play-to-play."

It's a long way from Everett's first training camp in 2015. Undrafted after a four-year career at Texas A&M, Everett was cut just days into camp with Tampa Bay.

He signed with the Redskins as a cornerback and took advantage of a rash of injuries then, too. His special-teams play helped secure a roster spot. But final cuts weren't so final.

One day after stepping outside of his hotel room to tell his mother that he'd made the squad — Everett didn't want to hurt roommate Trey Williams, a Texas A&M teammate who'd been cut that day by the Redskins — Everett was cut and landed on the practice squad.

But Everett was promoted to the roster in Week 4 and appeared in 11 games in 2015 and all 16 last year as a reserve after switching to safety. His most important adjustment though came last year when he found out he was a father of a boy who lives with his mother in Everett's native Louisiana.

Everett met Aiden, for the first time this summer. He FaceTimes with his son every day now, now 5, gently chiding him to clean his room and listen to his mom.

"It's a role you either accept or you don't," Everett said. "There's a lot of parents that's out there not handling their parenting role very well. But I do everything I can with me being here and him being back home. ...I'm the image that he sees and wants to be and I have to live up to that now."

Living up to and exceeding expectations is nothing new for Everett, who has a fan in Redskins coach Jay Gruden.

"He is a very passionate guy about the game, getting the calls," Gruden said. "It's just a matter of lining up correctly, communicating with D.J. and making plays. I know the one thing he can do — he can tackle. He's not afraid. He's got good ball skills. That's a good combination for a safety."

Between Josh Doctson and the Redskins, are we really talking about practice?

Rams expect Aaron Donald to play Week 2 vs. Redskins

If you looked at the scoreboard of the Los Angeles Rams’ 46-9 win over the Indianapolis Colts, that wasn’t the case. He reported to the Rams on Saturday,Authentic Preston Smith Jersey, you’d think Aaron Donald played a huge role in the victory. However, but was held out of the Week 1 game because he hasn’t practiced with the team.

The Rams hope that will change next week,Authentic Matt Jones Jersey, expecting the two-time All-Pro to be back on the field against the Redskins in Week 2.

“He’s back here and that’s a step in the right direction, like we’ve mentioned,Womens Matt Jones Jersey,” Sean McVay said Monday. “I think, just getting him back here is the first step and definitely want to try to get him on the field.”

The Rams’ defensive line was dominant even without Donald,Authentic Steve Largent Jersey, Tyrunn Walker and Robert Quinn, recording nine tackles for loss and four sacks against the Colts. That was largely thanks to the play of Ethan Westbrooks,Womens Steve Largent Jersey, who had very strong performances.

Donald probably won’t return and be ready to play every snap on defense,With Donald expected to return this week,Womens 12th Fan Jersey, but the Rams will get him on the field as much as they can, Walker and Tanzel Smart can expect to see their snaps reduced at least slightly. Granted, within reason.

The plan for Donald has yet to be determined, and it’ll likely be decided by how he responds to practice this week.

“The plan is to get him going just back into the flow of a normal weekly rhythm like all of our players do,” McVay said. “He’s back here with us now and looking to get him going. As far as how he’ll be utilized in this game and kind of exactly what that plan entails is going to be predicated on how he feels going out to practice and getting involved.”

McVay credited Donald for not wanting to be a distraction despite the lengthy holdout he put together. As for the next step, the coach seems to believe Donald still wants to get his contract situation resolved as soon as possible.

“He just wants to get here, get a solution to this and get back with his teammates and compete and play the game that he loves,” McVay said. “That’s the impression that I get from the interactions that I’ve had with him.”

When that contract resolution will come remains to be seen, but the Rams would certainly like to lock up their stud defender for the foreseeable future.

Go To Top