WebHosting Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: one sample practiced the movement
Labi1995

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 03:47
one sample practiced the movement

Most of the discussion surrounding this paper has been regarding how the results contrast starkly with those reported by Harvard’s Daniel Lieberman in his now famous 2010 study of barefoot Kalenjin runners from Kenyan. In that study, among other things, Lieberman observed that those Kenyan adolescents who had never worn shoes landed on their midfoot or forefoot 88% of the time when running at a self-selected pace on a dirt road (contrary to what was written in the New York Times article, Lieberman’s Kenyan subjects were not running over a pressure mat). This is obviously quite a different result from that reported by Hatal et al.!The results have been interpreted to suggest that maybe we humans did not evolve to run barefoot using one particular type Nike Dunk Sky High Femme of foot strike. The reality is Nike Air Force 1 Womens that Lieberman’s own data had already indicated the same thing – although the percentage was far lower, a few of his fast running, habitually barefoot Kalenjin subjects did indeed land on their heels (their self-selected pace was about a 4:50 min/mile). I was fascinated by this particular finding, and asked Lieberman if we should all be using only one type of footstrike when I interviewed him for my book. Here is the passage from Tread Lightly where I quote his response:“So is there even a “one-footstrike-fits-all” scenario? Daniel Lieberman says no, expressing skepticism that there exists one optimal type of foot strike that should be used under all conditions. “I think everybody does everything. This idea that you’re just a forefoot striker, or just a midfoot striker, or just a heel striker is Nike Air VaporMax Womens bizarre. Variation is what biology is all about—everybody does everything! I Nike Air Presto Womens think barefoot runners heel strike sometimes, of course they do. I don’t think they do it all the time. It’s speed dependent, terrain dependent, warm up dependent, etc.”I think this quote really gets to the heart of the issue. The reality is that foot strike is likely influenced by a whole bunch of different factors, and to their credit the authors of the paper discuss many of these. It’s also very difficult to compare the results of the Hatala study with the results of Lieberman’s study because they don’t represent a very controlled comparison. Perhaps the most important difference is the fact the Daasanach studied by Hatala are not known to be habitual runners – regarding this, Hatala stated the following in his interview with Burfoot:“…I would say that there Nike Air Odyssey Hombre is not a clear “running culture” such as that which the Kalenjin are Nike Roshe Run Femme known for. Children are always running as they spend a great deal of time playing outdoors, but it is not common to encounter someone running purely for exercise.”In contrast, Lieberman’s habitually barefoot subjects averaged nearly 20 km of running per day. In other words, one sample practiced the movement pattern being studied an awful lot every single day, whereas there other sample did not. We are now learning the importance of neuromuscular control in determining running form, and it’s not so surprising to me that a population that doesn’t run much at all might adopt a foot strike that is a bit different than that of a high mileage sample. What was particularly striking (no pun intended!) to me here were the results observed during sprinting – it’s odd to see such a high percentage of heel strikes in a Nike Dunk Sky High Womens sprinting gait, and Nike Air Presto Femme this makes me wonder if there is something unusual about the Daasanach sample.

Go To Top